Diverged Ride 2017, Saturday, May 6
“This ride doesn’t really go anywhere, but it seems to go everywhere.” - Bobbie V.
Overland Base Camp's Diverged Ride: OBC's funnest ride -- because there's a short option, it's low key, and has 1,000 turns.
This year we've added a simple fundraiser for our local amazing trail stewards. Read on to learn more.
- Ride: Three routes:
- About 46 miles of pavement, gravel, dirt, and rocks. About half of the ride is unpaved. Some singletrack, too. We expect the ride to take between 4.5-6 hours. See the "Pacing Description" table below for details.
- About 38 miles of the same terrain as the longer ride. We expect this ride to take between 3.5-5 hours. See the "Pacing Description" table below for details.
- About 16 miles of the same terrain as the longer ride. We expect this ride to take between 2.5-4 hours.
- When: Saturday, May 6, 2017 departing every 15 minutes from 8:30 am through 10:30 am.
- Where: Departing from Ride Studio Cafe
- How: On mixed-terrain bikes – or cyclocross bikes – see details below.
- How Much: The 2017 Diverged is $25. However, all funds go to trail stewards to help keep the trails protected and open for us all. Overland Base Camp is not taking any funds from your registration fee.
- Food: Light Mediterranean fare will be provided post-ride and will be free. Drinks are standard RSC price. Snacks will include omnivore, gluten-free, and vegan options.
If you're not sure this ride is for you, read about last year's; it was an amazing day of riding, eating, and fun.
- 32c knobby tires, minimum size. If you don’t have 32c or wider, you’ll be riding alone after you get a flat.
- Clipless pedals: This ride isn't for everyone; we ride at a fair pace and aren't stopping a lot.
- Spare tube or two – with all the tools required to fix a flat – or two.
- Basic tool kit: Self sufficiency is the phrase of the day. The group will wait for you if you have a mechanical – in fact we’ll even help – but you don’t want people waiting trail-side too long on a chilly morning.
If you don’t have one or more of these items contact Overland Base Camp.
The deadline to register for the ride is Friday May 5th at midnight. The deadline to order the event t-shirt $35 ($15 dollars of each t-shirt sale goes to the donation) is Tuesday May 2nd at midnight. Visit our provisions page to register. The investment for the ride is $25. However, it's well worth it; read on:
Use of Funds
Aside from credit processing fees, every single dollar of your registration goes directly to the groups that work hard to keep the local trails open. Overland Base Camp is taking zero dollars from your registration. We're covering all the costs of this project -- including food, RSC's time, rider leader support, and coordinating with the conservation stewards.
Here are the two groups that will be receiving your registration investment:
- Lexington Conservation Stewards: This group protects the coolest trails in Massachusetts -- right in Lexington! The LCS are the best!
- MassBike: The Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition (MassBike) promotes a bicycle-friendly environment and encourages bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation.
There are dozens of trail, path, and open space groups worth donating money to. We decided to limit our list to two so that we can donate a meaningful amount to each. We chose these specific two because Diverged relies on the trails and roads these groups steward.
Ride Option Descriptions
Guided Group: We've got the OBC Navigators ready to take groups of about 10 riders through the endless twists and turns of Diverged. You'll get to roll with, and meet, new riders while not worrying about when the next turn is. New friends, guided trails, and rider support. What's better than that?
Indy: You ride independently and depart anytime between 8:30 and 10:00 am. You're sure to see other Diverged Riders out on the trails and you can join them or continue your solo ride. Your pace, your internal conversation, your freedom. That's the ride we look forward to.
Team: A group of 3-8 riders that you put together. At least one person has to have a Garmin GPS unit, although we strongly recommend two or more Garmins. You depart at anytime between 8:30 and 10:00 am. You ride at whatever pace you desire. You, your friends, whizzing through the trails with unexpected turns; what could be more fun?
The following times, speeds, and distances are all estimated. A flat tire, evolving trail conditions, weather, and your group are all variables you'll want to appreciate. We're having fun on Diverged; we're not winning.
|Category||Distance||Estimated Ride Time||Average Pace||Average Pace On Road||Average Pace Off Road||Spirit of the Ride|
|Fun||16 Miles||About 2 Hours||8-10 mph||14 mph||5 mph||"No Drop Ride", enjoying an early season mixed-terrain ride, taking scenic photographs, having fun and easing into the season|
|Moderate Group 1||16 Miles||1.7 - 2.2 Hours||10-13 mph||16 mph||6 mph||"No Drop Ride", pushing the pace in some sections, taking a few blurry photos, not overdoing the distance on an early season ride|
|Moderate Group 2||16 Miles||1.7 - 2.2 Hours||10-13 mph||16 mph||6 mph||"No Drop Ride", pushing the pace in some sections, taking a few blurry photos, not overdoing the distance on an early season ride|
|Moderate Group 1||38 Miles||3.0 - 4.0 Hours||10-13 mph||16 mph||6 mph||"No Drop Ride", riding hard at times but not over your head, getting your heart rate near maximum a few times, taking a few blurry photos|
|Moderate Group 2||38 Miles||3.0 - 4.0 Hours||10-13 mph||16 mph||6 mph||"No Drop Ride", riding hard at times but not over your head, getting your heart rate near maximum a few times, taking a few blurry photos|
|Fast||38 Miles||About 3.0 Hours||13-15 mph||18+ mph||8+ mph||"Drop Ride", riding at your threshold, no time for photos, the trees seem to be a blur|
|Moderate||46 Miles||4.5 - 6.0 Hours||10-13 mph||16 mph||6 mph||"No Drop Ride", riding hard at times but not over your head, getting your heart rate near maximum a few times, taking a few blurry photos|
|Fast||46 Miles||About 4.5 Hours||13-15 mph||18+ mph||8+ mph||"Drop Ride", riding at your threshold, no time for photos, the trees seem to be a blur|
No Drop Ride: the fun and medium pace rides are no drop. This means that the ride leader will not let you get dropped off the back of the group. If you have a flat, a mechanical, or are simply having trouble keeping up, the ride will wait for you. If you're riding with a medium pace group you can wait, if you'd like, for the fun group to catch up to you so you can ride with them.
Drop Ride: The Fast paced rides are drop rides. This means that if you have a flat, mechanical, or are having trouble keeping up, you will be on your own. Fortunately, if you stop on the route and wait for a bit another group will be coming up to you and you can join that group.
The ride's namesake comes from Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken.
Diverged is all about riding the trails and roads less taken. It's one of our favorite rides because it's early season so we get to see the trees just beginning to wake up, the trails are open and welcoming, and there aren't a lot of walkers out in the world. The ride isn't too hard: we'll have two distances - as always.
We'll also be serving breakfast so make sure you register above so we know how much food to bring!