THE FORMIDABLE RIDE
THE TOUGHEST ROAD RIDE IN MASSACHUSETTS
CHOOSE ROAD OR MIXED-TERRAIN
14 OCTOBER 2017 - SUNRISE TO SUNSET
If you've already registered, you can log into the ride page here. Don't forget your password!
The Formidable is the toughest road ride in Massachusetts. Last year's challenge proved this claim -- and we've made it even tougher this year. Join us and find out why The Formidable is Massachusetts' best trial of your riding mettle.
Before registering for either Formidable, ask yourself:
- Do I love a true cycling test of capability and character?
- Do I lean into challenges that most people shy away from?
- Do I appreciate suffering on the bike?
- Do I love to find my breaking point, and then push past it?
If you answered 'yes' to some of these questions, The Formidable might be for you.
The Formidable Pavé Ride is part gran fondo, part brevet, and part torture session. It's called 'The Formidable' for a reason; make no mistake, this ride will break everyone that participates. It is the most challenging road ride in Massachusetts.
|Distance||~160 Miles||~100 Miles|
|Start and End Point||Berkshire East Mountain Resort at 66 Thunder Mountain Rd, Charlemont, MA 01339|
|Total Ascent includes Mount Greylock||~18,000 Feet||~11,000 Feet|
|Terrain||Good paved roads, rural and exurban|
The Formidable Terra Ride is a mix of beautiful pavement and dirt roads. The dirt varies from super smooth to class 4 rough dirt. The Terra ride also has a bit of double track and single track.
|Ground||Mixed-Terrain: About 40% dirt road and 60% pavé|
|Start and End Point||Berkshire East Mountain Resort 66 Thunder Mountain Rd, Charlemont, MA 01339|
|Total Ascent includes Mount Greylock||~13,000 Feet|
All the Formidable Rides Include
- Neutral support vehicle
- Breakfast before the start
- Two food stops along the route
- Dinner at the end of the ride
- Bragging rights for a year - until the next riding of The Formidable
Additional items available for purchase
- Causing fear, dread, awe, or admiration as a result of size, strength, or some other impressive quality; commanding respect;
- Causing wonder or astonishment
- Difficult to defeat or overcome
From the Latin formidare ‘to fear.’