We’ve been doing some research and we’ve not been able to find a ride like Dusk to Dawn anywhere in the US. We're surprised by this. we’ll keep looking; if anyone knows of a similar kind of ride, please let us know.
Key defining characteristics of the Dutodari:
- Timing - Only In the Dark: We leave at sunset and wrap up at sunrise. There are many 24-hour races and 1,200k rides, but none I can find that only roll in the dark. Every 12-hour race I can find takes place in daylight.
- Mixed Terrain: Paved roads, dirt roads, singletrack, goat paths. The Dutodari is about 50% pavement with the rest a mix of all types of dirt. The closest types of night rides I can find are pure mountain bike or pure randonee. No ride can I find has every type of terrain.
- Route: The Dusk to Dawn route is one big loop. Most 24-hour races are laps - often of about an hour or so - designed for teams, safety, and overall ease of management. We at the Dutodari like to make everything difficult to manage, therefore one large loop is the prescription.
- Riding the Full Distance: Many overnight organized offroad races are designed for teams that take turns on laps. In this case, with on laps, each rider tests solo mettle.
- Well Supported: We have three well stocked food stops planned. We also have an emergency vehicle on the course for safety.
- Dusk to Dawn is a ride. The closest corollaries I can find are races or timed events. Dutodari is a ride where the only clock is the sun’s movement under you and your own personal goals.